Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Vegetable Pad Thai

May 13, 2010

Another low stress, easy-to-prepare meal that is flavorful and wonderful!

Serves 4 (I double this recipe for my family of 5 and get some leftovers)

Ingredients:

8 ounces dried, wide, and flat rice noodles (I just use medium egg noodles)

2 Tbsp dark-brown sugar (I use sucanat)

2 Tbsp fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving

3 Tbsp soy sauce

2 tsp vegetable oil

(I also add 1 tsp. of sesame seeds to the oil and toast them)

3 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced (or green onions)

1 garlic clove, minced (I always triple the garlic)

2 large eggs (optional), lightly beaten (I love to use eggs for more protein and flavor)

1/2 cup fresh cilantro

1/4 cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts (I used chopped cashews, yum!)

  1. Prepare noodles according to package instructions. Drain. In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, lime juice, and soy sauce.

  1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high. (Lightly toast 1 tsp of sesame seeds.) Add scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add eggs (if using) and cook, scraping skillet with a spatula until eggs are cooked.

  1. Add noodles and soy sauce mixture to skillet; cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are warmed and coated with sauce, about 1 or 2 minutes. Serve with lime wedges, topped with cilantro and peanuts (cashews).

From Everyday Food magazine.

No comments: